What Is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)?
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy focuses on helping people change how they interpret and react to their experiences.
- The process is a collaborative one. The therapist first helps you to set or clarify goals for treatment. A joint exploration is then begun to help identify your thoughts (called automatic thoughts) and examine how these thoughts affect your feelings and resulting behavior.
- The therapeutic work involves identifying and examining those thoughts and beliefs (dysfunctional automatic thoughts) which have a negative effect on your behavior, testing the validity of the thoughts and developing new ways of viewing and responding to situations.
Why choose Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)?
CBT’s recent popularity stems from its history of proven effectiveness in treating anxiety and mood disorders. Its techniques have been adopted by many practitioners and its usage extended to treat a wide variety of other conditions over the last several years because:
- It provides clients with new tools and coping strategies.
- It is usually short term.
- It is accepted by many professional societies as the recommended treatment of choice for a wide variety of conditions.
Anyone can have problems:
- You may experience anxiety, constant worry, or suffer from a specific phobia.
- You may seek treatment because you feel stuck and cannot seem to get out of a rut.
- Parents come because their children may have difficulty in school, at home or in social situations.
- You may be troubled by obsessive thoughts that won’t go away.
- Others may feel sad, lethargic, depressed or have trouble sleeping.
- Couples may struggle with impending separation, divorce or with parenting issues.
Why Choose Cognitive Therapy & Consultation, LLC – Experience and Expertise
Dr. Schonberg began offering Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to her clients in Summit in 2001. At that time only a few local psychologists specialized in CBT, and there were few CBT specialty psychology practices in Summit, although CBT had been developed in the late 1960’s by Dr. Aaron Beck and others.
In 2007, Dr. Schonberg founded Cognitive Therapy & Consultation LLC to offer residents of Summit and the surrounding communities in Essex, Union, Morris and Somerset Counties an independent psychology practice specializing in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for adults and older children.
Dr. Schonberg has since earned a reputation in the area as a caring, compassionate psychologist who is well known for her clinical expertise. Many of her new patients are referred by other health professionals in the area. She is always appreciative of their votes of confidence.
At CTC, LLC you are assured expert, discrete and compassionate care in a comfortable, private setting.
Dr. Schonberg is Board Certified by the American Board of Professional Psychology in Cognitive and Behavioral Psychology, an achievement shared by only a select group of her NJ colleagues. Most recently, she has been designated as a Beck Institute Faculty Member and Beck CBT Certified Master Clinician (BICBT-CMC).
Dr. Schonberg and her associate, Dr. DiDomenico, are both expert and experienced psychologists, each licensed in psychology for more than 20 years. You will not be seen by a trainee at CTC.
- Dr. Domenico brings special knowledge to the practice as the former Acting Director of the Rutgers Child Anxiety Disorders Clinic and as a supervisor of graduate psychology students at Rutgers (GSAAP). Read about our credentials.
- Because we are an independent small practice, we are accountable only to you. Should you elect to address more than one issue, your treatment is not circumscribed by a limit on the number of sessions we can offer. Your clinical needs determine your treatment plan.
- With privileges at all three local area hospitals, we have established relationships with many well regarded local psychiatrists and physicians. Should you require medication to augment your treatment, we can refer and coordinate the treatment.
- Our convenient location in downtown Summit also offers private parking for our clients.
To read more about how specific Conditions are treated with CBT, and the techniques used in treatment, please visit both the Conditions and CBT pages of this website. After consulting the Insurance page, you may wish to arrange a consultation by calling (908) 273-3133.